Student Visa in UK

An England student visa allows a person to come to the England for the purpose of studying. There is no set duration for an England student visa, however visas for students in an England are usually granted for a period of one year and are usually determined by the length of course to be studied.


Course of Study

You must be accepted for a course of study which is to be provided by an organisation which is included on the Department of Education and Skills' Register of Education and Training Providers, and be on a course of study at:

* a publicly-funded institution of further or higher education (for example, a university);
* a private-education institution; or
* an independent fee-paying school;
and that you are going to follow:
* a recognised full-time degree course;
* a course run during the week that involves at least 15 hours of organised daytime study a week; or
* a full-time course of study at an independent fee-paying school.
You must also:
* be able to pay for your course and support and accommodate yourself and any dependants without working or help from public funds; and
* plan to leave the United Kingdom when you complete your studies.

The Tier 4 (General) category is for adult students who want to come to or remain in the UK for their post-16 education.

If you are 16 or 17 years old and you want to study a course at or above National Qualfication Framework level 3, you can apply under this category or under Tier 4 (Child) - you should discuss and agree this with your approved education provider (known as a 'Tier 4 sponsor'). But if you want to study English as a foreign language, you must apply as a Tier 4 (General) student.

If you are an adult and you want to undertake a short course of study in the UK (such as a beginner's English Language course or a work-related training course), you might be able to come here as a student visitor.

Public Funds

England student visa holders must be able to support and accommodate tehmselves without recourse to public funds.


Only married partners are eligible to join a person on a British student visa and they will be granted leave to remain for a period equal to that granted to the student. During this time they must be able to support themselves either independently or with the help of an England student visa holder. This partner will be given permission to work only if an England student visa was issued for 12 months or more.